Suspended Timeout

Thursday, June 24, 2010

yelL yeE yeaH

In 1999, I traveled to Leh where my dad was posted for a while. Back then, it was a small town with little (read no) tourists at all. The 'season' was the time when the locals could earn their money and also when the population of the town increased with the onset of tourists from all across the globe. I was there for around 10 days, flew in and out and did not go too many places. I was mesmerized, awe-struck and just happy to be there! I saw it once and wanted to see it again, visit all the places possible.

In 2006, my friends Deepak and a few other planned for a Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar trip, I could not join in because of some important work. I missed my opportunity to visit this beautiful location yet again. I was sad but also excited that a few more will witness this heaven on earth. Their trip was not only successful but simply amazing! all great photographers visited Leh and around and gave us some amazing shots! I still look at all those pictures ever again and look at the creative talent of all of them.

After waiting and wanting to go to this location years together, I finally decided last year that I am heading there, no matter what! Poof! it was not to be...to travel to Leh, you need a bigger group and that was not possible in 2009. We reached out to a million, trillion friends but it was not to be....untill now. 2010 it was!

The planning started as early as last year in September. I explored options, places to visits, mode of transport and also millions of blogs and notes from previous visitors. Not to mention I kept informing friends and family, hopeful that a few may be joining us. As early as Jan 2010, a few individuals showed their interest and I got started. Towards mid-March, the plan was finalized and yes...Neil and Evi were joining us for this 'epic' journey.

We were soo excited about this and well why not! It was 11 years in the making :)

Here is what we planned:
  • Neil and Evi will head to Delhi first, then we will head to Manali from Delhi. We will stay at the Johnson Hotel (famous for its wood oven trout)
  • We will then proceed towards the Rohtang pass and will travel to Jispa, which is a small town next to the Jispa river. This will be our night halt
  • Next day will be a cannon ball run from Jispa all the way to Leh via the Baralach la, Tanlang la passes and Upshi
  • We will wait a day for rest in Leh and then visit Pangong Lake, Nubra Valley, night stay there (both the places) and will also visit the famous monasteries there
  • The return leg will feature a cannon ball run from Leh to Sonmarg, and after a night stay there, we will proceed to Srinagar immediately the next day
  • Srinagar to Delhi/Mumbai we will be taking the flights out from the Srinagar intl. airport
All was set, bookings made, flights ready and booked, hotels and guest houses waiting for us. The trip was set to start on 12 June (Saturday) and wnd on 22 June. The Manali - Leh road was thrown open for traffic in April itself!! never has this happened in a 30 years! but...three days before the trip began....disaster...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home